Saturday, August 21, 2004

Day 2: Skun to Kampong Thom, 86 km

I'm out of Skun early, and chugging north-west along Highway 6 quite nicely. The road is sealed and in great condition, flat, but there's a steady head-wind coming in from Thailand, a light sou-westerly, and it's a bother. Luckily there's no rain. Not much traffic, but I'm still suffering from boredom and a lack of fitness. I'm looking forward to turning north after K. Thom, and into some unknown territory. I need some adventure.

I'm not one of these guys who can cycle and cycle, grind it out for days on end, just for the cycling's sake. I need a reason, I need romance, I need delusion! So I tell myself, amidst the toxins and doubts.

I get into Kampong Thom around 3 PM, and am exhausted. I meet a French couple, Nico and Natalie, who like to talk, so I decide to stay for 3 days. I've also really got to nail this lack of fitness, so I cycle 25 km out and back around K. Thom every morning, and feel better for it. When you're doing short loops like this you can really put the foot down and have some fun.

Tomorrow I head north towards Preah Vihar, into unknown territory, and also feel better for it.

No comments: